Greenleaf Christian Church bought its first piece of land in 1887 just 22 years after the end of the Civil War and slavery. It was described on the deed as a "ditch connected to a small parcel".
In 1997, a 110 years later, the members of Greenleaf Christian Church broadened the vision and invested $550,000 to purchase an abandoned 26,000 square foot grocery store on 5.5 acres of land. Dissatisfied with the dilapidated conditions and lack of growth in their community the investment was a major commitment towards laying the foundation to begin the revitalization of the Greenleaf community. So after five years of praying, planning and training Greenleaf Church formed Rebuilding Broken Places Community Development Corporation (RBPCDC), a "faith-based" non-profit organization. RBPCDC received its formal tax-exempt status as a 501©3 non-profit organization in April 1999. In May 2000 the Executive Director was hired to oversee RBPCDC's community revitalization and restoration strategy Project "FAITHFORCE".
Rebuilding Broken Places CDC was formed to "restore and revitalize" the human and physical aspects of the community surrounding Greenleaf Christian Church by improving the social, educational and economic conditions. It was created as a logical outgrowth of the 114-year-old religious institution with a rich and long history of dedication to community service.